What is Messy ChurchWritten by Ant on Feb 26, 2013
What is Messy Church?
- A church for adults and children to enjoy together.
- It’s primarily for people who don’t belong to another form of church already.
- It’s all-age.
- It’s fun.
- Its aim is to introduce Jesus, to give an opportunity to encounter him and to grow closer to him.
- It usually includes some creative time to explore the biblical theme through getting messy; a celebration time which might involve story, prayer, song, games and similar; and a meal together.
- Its values are those of hospitality, creativity and celebration.
- It models and promotes good ways of growing as a family: a nuclear family, an extended family and a global and local church family.
- It usually meets once a month.
- The first one started in Hampshire in 2004 and the idea has spread so that there are now many Messy Churches.
- The organisation at the heart of Messy Church is BRF (Bible Reading Fellowship), a charity which resources and connects Messy Churches through prayer, staff team, books and a website.
For more information visit http://www.messychurch.org.uk/